Friday, June 21, 2013

My letter to Rep. Jason Isaac (TX, District 45)


Dear Rep. Isaac,

I am writing to ask you to please vote against HB60 and HB16.  Here is my story.

In 2010, at the age of 29, I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung). Although I recovered after a week in the hospital, I was informed by doctors that all hormonal birth control would be contraindicated for the rest of my life.  That meant I had to be taken off the Pill (which I had been on for 9 years) and I cannot choose other hormonal options, such as Nuvaring, IUDs, Depo shots, etc. Even Progesterone-only methods have been discouraged for me.  Basically, my only options WITHOUT risking my health are condoms, diaphragms, sterilization (for me or my husband or both) and abortion.

The fact that I'm married but don't want kids (helping to raise 3 younger siblings and a stepdaughter is enough for me!) means I don't want to be pregnant. EVER.  My husband and I decided that we do not want children of our own.

To further complicate matters, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in early 2011. Although fibro manifests itself in many different ways for different people, mine causes daily excruciating pain in my back which often migrates to my limbs. On my absolute worst days I cannot grasp a toothbrush or bathe myself without assistance.  Being pregnant while having fibro would be AGONY.

Now, some may bring up health exceptions for abortion and the like. But in 2013, not all doctors even recognize fibro as a valid medical condition! So even though I have an actual debilitating illness, I don't feel the "health exception" is sufficient enough to cover people like me.

Therefore, I believe abortion should be available as a VALID LEGAL MEDICAL PROCEDURE WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS and should be accessible to as many people as possible.

Texans' actual lives depend on this vote. I beg you to consider the well-being of ALL your constituents and vote against these bills.

2 comments: