Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Long Journey with Fibromyalgia, Part IV

Part I
Part II
Part III


It wasn't until my primary care physician (PCP) referred me to a rheumatologist in early 2011 that I officially received the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia.

Let me be clear...there is no medical test for Fibromyalgia.  It is largely a clinical diagnosis wherein the patient and doctor(s) have to go through a process of elimination of other possible diseases and disorders.  It is often referred to as a "trash can" diagnosis - meaning, if the symptoms don't fit anything else, doctors will just call it fibromyalgia.

I had all the tender spots commonly associated with Fibromyalgia, so the rheumatologist started me on Lyrica.  Unfortunately, Lyrica gave me severe migraines.  So it was off to Neurontin, which just flat out didn't work.  After those two attempts, the rheumatologist seemed to lose interest in treating me.  Or maybe I was just being stubborn in not wanting to subject myself to more poking and prodding.

But it was at that time that I decided I would rather live with the pain of fibromyalgia than have to deal with more doctors and tests and waiting and expenses...none of which provided answers, by the way.

This break went on for several months until I moved to go back to school.  Stay tuned for Part V.

No comments:

Post a Comment