Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How a south Texas girl became a diehard Denver Broncos fan...

In 1997, I was a junior in high school.  Our biology teacher (hello Mr. Ballard if you're reading this) had a football contest.  Before the NFL season started, he asked us to predict who would play in the Super Bowl that year (well, in January 1998).

Now, I knew the basics about NFL football, but I was clueless when it came to divisions and conferences and whatnot.  I initially picked Dallas vs. Green Bay.  Come to find out, they are in the same conference and could never play against each other in (the current incarnation of) the Super Bowl. (They did play each other in the 1967 NFL Championship Game.)

But I digress...

Despite living in Texas my entire life, I was not a big Cowboys fan.  As far as I'm concerned, Jerry Jones can suck it.  Jimmy Johnson's not very high up on my list either.  So I decided to stick with my Green Bay pick for the NFC.

And then, ladies and gentlemen, I pulled the AFC team completely out of thin air.  The Denver Broncos.

I gave the biology teacher my prediction and tuned in for the NFL season.  Imagine my surprise as the Broncos kept winning, and winning...and then winning some more - eventually heading to a 12-4 regular season record!  And the Green Bay Packers weren't looking too shabby with their 13-3 heading into the post-season.

Once the post-season rolled around, I was so happy that both Green Bay and Denver were in the playoffs.  My prediction was that much closer to coming true!  As the AFC and NFC Championship games ended, I nearly keeled over when I realized that Green Bay and Denver would actually be playing each other in the Super Bowl.

My only problem at that point was determining who I would root for in Super Bowl XXXII.  My dad - and therefore my mother and siblings - were all diehard Packers fans.  In fact, one of my sisters owns both a Cheesehead AND a Favre jersey.  Being the troublemaker that I am, I decided to be the sole member of my family to go for the Broncos.

I can't recount the game for you, since it was damn near 14 years ago and I'm old, but suffice it to say I love Mike Shanahan and John Elway.  The Broncos, of course, defeated the defending champion Packers 31-24.

So, as you can see, my psychic powers are astounding!!  Not only did I pick the 2 teams that would ultimately play in the Super Bowl a full 5 months before it occurred, but I also picked the winner!

And since the Broncos didn't let me down, they have been my team ever since.  Just...let's not talk about the last few seasons, ok?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment